Páginas

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Socceroos bolter Mitchell Duke talks about his 'crazy' year ahead of friendly against Brazil


Mitchell Duke's crazy year continues with a trip to Brazil.
FOR a 22-year-old with 20 A-League caps – and five starts – getting a spot in a squad to take on the likes of Neymar, David Luiz and Oscar must be like living a fantasy.
For Central Coast Mariners striker Mitchell Duke, his selection in Holger Osieck’s squad for the international friendly against Brazil on the weekend is another step forward in a “crazy year”, with a return to Brazil in just under 12 months’ time the ultimate ambition. 
“Since I started scoring goals in January, getting more and more game time, doing better and making big differences (as the Mariners went on to win the grand final) - then the ACL (Asian Champions League) Games, the East Asian Cup Games, then a week trial at West Ham as well … it’s been a crazy year so far.But it’s been unreal,” Duke told foxsports.com.au before jetting off to Brasilia. 
Duke’s stellar year, where he impressed at the East Asian Cup tournament in South Korea, scoring two goals, has propelled him to be the bolter in this full-strength squad for the glamour friendly. He says things will start to sink in when he’s watching the likes of Neymar first hand on Sunday morning (EST). 
"With players like Neymar you watch in awe at their ability," Duke said. "It's going to be unreal even just being on the sidelines to watch game.
But should Osieck turn to him, he’ll be ready. The youngster has succeeded at each challenge this year and wants to show that he is a genuine option for the Socceroos as Osieck assesses his options over the next 12 months. 
“(The East Asian Games) was definitely a breakthrough - and a chance for me to show the national team coach what I've got to offer,” Duke said. 
“Basically at the last tournament I guess I showed I have something that I have that he (Holger) finds useful; because I am young, I guess he's taken me for the experience, to get me used to it for my future time with the Socceroos. 
“I just (want to) fit in with the team (and) soak up the experience. 
“I don't expect to play, but I'm ready to play. 
“But I’m there more for the experience, being with the main Socceroos squad … it's a bit of a learning experience for me, I'm still young, it's just going to be a great experience.
With Tim Cahill out injured, it will be a chance for the next cabs off the rank like Josh Kennedy, Brett Holman Tom Rogic to prove their worth. 
But if the Socceroos are looking for movement, energy and an impact up front, Duke believes he has something to offer the national team, building on what has worked on under Graham Arnold at the Mariners. 
“My work-rate through the whole 90 minutes; my speed, my build, getting in behind and my harassing of defenders; it helps out a lot up front,” Duke said.
“It works out well; it can be a good asset for the team.” 
A trip to Brazil with the Socceroos and a trial with Barclays Premier League club West Ham United have given Duke a glimpse of what might be in store in the near future. 
He says playing in the EPL is “100 per cent” an aspiration, but to do that, and keep his seat on the plane the next time the Socceroos venture to Brazil in 2014, he knows it’s all about “making the most of your opportunities”.   
“I’ll just continue what I'm doing, focus on the football, and if I continue my form, stay in the eyes of the Socceroos, and continue to be considered.
“It (the World Cup) is the biggest stage in the world - every football player would love to be there. 
“That's my big goal at the moment, continue on my way, and hopefully get a plane ticket to Brazil.” 
Before that, he’s got an A-League Championship to defend. And as his teammates’ new nickname for him – Duke-a-Roo – demonstrates, they’ll be keeping his feet firmly back in Terrigal once he returns from the big stage in Brasilia. 
“The boys do keep you grounded, and don't let it get to my head. There's a bit of banter about it - you've got to enjoy it.