Páginas

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Fred: New generation of Brazil talent can clinch 2014 World Cup victory


By Callum Fox 2013-04-08 11:30:00
Action Images
Fluminense's Fred believes the Seleção has what it takes to clinch a sixth World Cup victory thanks to the new generation of Brazilian talent.
Fred is somewhat of an elder statesman in a Seleção containing the likes of Neymar, Lucas Moura and Oscar who are leading the next generation of Brazilian talent.
"Brazil have a lot of players who are a cut above, as well as a younger generation with an absurd amount of potential.
"We need to take full advantage of that quality and assemble a team that can go toe-to-toe with those other national teams that have been catching the eye.
"Besides, we’ll have a fundamental factor in our favour, which is having the fans behind us. We know this could give the Seleção an edge.
"We need to excite the fans and get them on board, because that way we’ll be even stronger."
Fred also reflected on his relationship with former Seleção boss Carlos Alberto Parreira, now the the national team's technical coordinator, but insists he is in the team on merit.
"First of all, I always focus on doing a consistently good job at club level to make sure I deserve a place in the squad.
"I think the fact I’ve worked under Parreira with the Seleção and Fluminense is a plus, in the sense that he knows me well.
"And now, after these first few games with the new coaching staff, I’ve been able to spend more time with Felipão too and find out what he expects from the team.
"But all that will count for nothing if my performances dip. I’m just concentrating on keeping playing well for my club, to ensure I get selected and am able to do an effective job for the Seleção."